Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happy Birthday Elizabeth...

Well folks, yesterdays plans didn't pan out! We're still at home & throwing together a last minute celebration for Elizabeth's 8th birthday! I am thankful that I had the foresight not to mention our impending homecoming to her. Such is the nature of the Army. Ever heard the phrase "hurry up & wait"? That pretty much sums up life in the military. Plans change, families move, you leave extended family & good friends behind. But you know what?! Despite all those things I don't think I would give it up. It's an amazing opportunity to meet new people, visit new places and to test the limits of our patience and grace. I'll admit, there was a string of not-so-nice thoughts that went through my mind as I held the phone listening to the change in schedule. On further reflection I know it's better this way. Travel will be safer & planes landing will be safer. I am ok with this change in plans. See - look! I grew a little (ha!). "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. Isaiah 55:8  I'm pretty sure that's a good thing because I know if I was in charge of so much I would really mess it up! I'll let Him handle the heavy lifting and I will do my best to follow my charted course! 

Back to the celebration! We are going to have some pizza, birthday cake and manicures with some neighborhood friends. Hopefully the snow doesn't hinder them walking the 200 - 300 feet to our front door! It'll be fun. The girls can have manicures & a movie and the mom's will visit and try to beat the "snow day blues".

How do you entertain your kids while they have a day off from school? Thankfully snow days have their own built in entertainment! Bundle those babies up & shove them (ahem, ask them nicely if they'd like to go) outside. A strong, hot cup of coffee for the mama's and it's a fine day! Kids come ripping back in to have some hot chocolate and back out they go leaving puddles of melted snow in their wake! Ah, the simple joys!!

God Bless from my imperfect mess...


No comments:

Post a Comment