Thursday, March 20, 2014

"Sweet" Pepper Nachos!

Since we strive for a low grain diet around here I needed something to replace corn tortillas in our favorite easy weeknight dinner: NACHOS! My kids love nachos. They can customize their own toppings, and except for the tortillas I feel good about feeding this dish to my family.


Fast forward; one day I was preparing my produce delivery (shout out to Door To Door Organics) and those super cute sweet peppers were offered.


LIGHT BULB! I could cut these cuties in half and have CHIPS! I got to work and here's how I did it:


8 - 16 oz of sweet peppers (pictured above)
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 pound grass fed beef
1-2 tbsp Penzey's southwest seasoning or taco seasoning of your choice 
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Toppings of your choice: plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), salsa, black beans, cilantro, chopped tomato, avocado or anything you love on YOUR nachos.

Slice the peppers in half, lengthwise and remove seeds. Place in a 9 x 13 pan or baking sheet. I bake mine at 350 for about 10-15 minutes. This is really just to warm them up, because we like a bit of crunch! While your peppers are cooking, sauté onions, ground beef & southwest seasoning in a skillet until meat is browned.  At this point I make a pile of meat and slather in toppings, then put peppers on the side to "scoop" with. It's a fork kind of meal....unless you love messy fingers! 

My kids eat this up and clean their plates. I feel great about sneaking (ahem, I mean offering) so many veggies in one meal and they feel like they are getting junk food! WIN!

How do you sneak *ahem* Offer vegetables to get your kids to eat them? I really hope you enjoy this quick, easy weeknight meal! Let me know how it goes over at your house!!!

God Bless from my (im)perfect mess....


No comments:

Post a Comment