Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Life: it's a verb!


Ecclesiastes 3:11

New International Version (NIV)
11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet[a] no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 

I'll let you in on a secret; work is hard! I grumble about the dishes, the clothes that need washed and put away, the dinner that needs to be cooked. I worry about my family when they are out & about. I think about how nice it would be to finally look the way I feel. That pesky self-doubt and not feeling good enough. Guess what...? It's about time I got over myself. I have been promised that I am enough. Just the way I am! All 100% of this funny, crazy, frustrating, goofy, loving, & imperfect person that I am. I've made really good progress over the past few months whipping myself back into shape. For accountability: I have lost 25 pounds! There's still work to be done but it's progress in the right direction. However, aside from feeling better and looking better I need to remember other things I am:

I am a child of God
I am a loyal & loving wife
I am a caring & attentive mother
I am a faithful friend
I am creative
I am willing to learn 
I am...

If I can, I will speak to the Ladies: as women we tend to focus on all the things we are not. Let's not fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to others. I recently read an article (complete with pictures) of famous women with & without their makeup. Guess what? They look awesome all dolled up with their makeup and fancy hair. It took an entire TEAM of people to make them look that way. Without their makeup they don't look that much different than I do every morning. I wonder if they feel bad about themselves on a quiet day at home without all the fancy makeup? I think it would be a relief just to relax. Can we stop feeing inferior to other women? There isn't one of us that much better than another. We are a sisterhood and should support each other, not be judgmental. I'm going to work harder on my perception of others because I am guilty of feeling like less than I am and being a bit "judgey" myself. 

I am blessed with a husband who loves me despite my imperfections. We will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary soon...we have known each other for 15 years. Half our lifetime. He is an amazing man. A great father. My best friend. In the past 10 years I have learned that what I thought was love on our wedding day barely scratched the surface of the feelings I have now. It hasn't always been easy. We argued, there were deployments and trainings that kept us apart, there never seems to be time for just "us", there's different parenting styles and countless other "things". It takes work! Marriage isn't something that just happens. Love isn't a noun or a adjective. It's not something you feel, it's something to DO! Love is a verb! LIFE is a verb!

Know that feeling when a bunch of hard work finally starts to pay off? I shared last there is a season for everything. Planting & harvesting, play & rest, work & reward. I am here to tell you that this is an absolute truth. It just may not manifest itself the way you imagined. So chin up, friends. Work IS hard, but it's really really worth it! After the work comes the rest! 

God Bless from my (im)perfect mess...



2 comments: